Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Breakfast in a Jar

One of my favorite breakfasts is overnight oats. I first got the idea for this from my favorite blog ever, KathEatsRealFood. I've adapted it a bit, so here is what I do:

Mix 1/3 cup milk (my fav. is coconut milk, but any kind works), 1/3 cup rolled oats, 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt (or any yogurt), a tiny pinch of salt, and 1/2 tsp. chia seeds (optional, but it makes it "fluffy"). Layer with fresh or fozen fruit (I used peaches and strawberries below) and top with granola* or crunchy cereal. Let it sit overnight in the fridge and it will be ready for breakfast in the morning! I like to use a glass jam jar because they don't leak and it looks pretty :)



*My Homemade Granola (pretty much the best granola ever!)

Comine in bowl and mix:
4 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (I use almonds and pecans)
1 1/2 cups dried fruit (I use a combo of cranberries, cherries, raisins, and cherries)
2 cups coconut
2 Tbsp. chia seeds
2 Tbsp. flax seeds
pinch salt
1/3 cup honey
1 cup oil (I use safflower because it's tasteless)
1 tsp. cinnamon
If on hand, I throw in a couple scoops of coconut butter or pumpkin butter.

Pour into baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring every 5-7 minutes. If you like it more chewy, which I do, bake for 25 minutes. If you like it really crunchy, bake for 35 minutes.

****************
Lastly, here is a picture of Caleb modeling his new "murse" (manpurse) he got for Father's Day. And a really cute drawing Gallie made him! His old one was really gross and I made him throw it in the garbage can :)


No comments:

Post a Comment